Sunday, August 27, 2006

When Plan A fails...

Finally, Plan B is over the counter. I think people worry about how it's wrong and blah, blah, blah but I think that the restrictions that they have are more than adequate. I am speaking from experience that not all people who have used emergency contraception are irresponsible. Accidents happen and there is nothing more scary than realizing that the condom you were using was actually caught in your ass crack the whole time. There is also nothing more scary that trying to sleep through the night and wait the hours until your gynecologist's office opens so you can get the prescription. There is nothing as scary as the nurse telling you that you should be okay because of where you are at on your period. There is nothing more scary than trying to find a place that carries Plan B because some pharmacists do not like stocking the stuff. There is nothing more scary than getting the talk from the pharmacist who thinks you are a slut and not a committed woman in a relationship who had to make the decision to eat and not spend 40 dollars a month for birth control but 10 dollars for a box of condoms. There is nothing more scary than to take those pills at work knowing that within a couple of hours you will experience the nausea that is one of the side effects and you will be tossing your cookies at work. There is nothing more scary than having to experience all of that within 24 hours and then wait to see if you are pregnant or not. Knowing that a woman can go in to a pharmacy, flash her ID and avoid all the above steps is worth it to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Hmm... not scary as much for me as infuriating. I see your point, though. I, for one, support that women can now buy the pill over the counter. About frickin' time.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

At the time I was freaking out, Notta, but now that I think about it I should have been pissed at the time. All I can say is that I am glad I am on the pill so I won't have to do that again.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Vest said...

I read your post. Interesting. not sure how to comment, are you intending to have kiddies in the future?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Vest, when this accident happened, I was freaked out and I cried because I was afraid of how having a child would throw a wrench in to my school plans and life, I just wasn't ready. But later when I waited to see if I was pregnant, I started to be at peace with the idea of having a child. So, when my pregnancy test was negative I was relieved but I cried because at some level I did want to be pregnant. So yes, I do want children and there was no reason for my post but to try to put a face on a very hard personal decision in the eye of the moral controversy that over the counter Plan B sales created.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home