Sunday, July 30, 2006

It sucks...


Well, it was a matter of time. Budgerigars are little tumor factories. I found out the other day that my parakeet, Sumokeet, has a tumor. I figure it originated from her female parts aka ovaries and has grown into a mass that is now protruding from her back. She is the fourth bird that I have had that will die from cancer. Unfortunately, parakeets are so inbred especially the English variety that it is an eventuality that they succumb to cancer if they aren't killed by any household accidents. I am sad but I have given her a good life. She was an older bird that was crippled when I bought her so I know that I saved her and gave her a few months of TLC and a little buddy to keep her company. I just have been down this route before and I am told the same thing by the vet, she is too little for surgery, the tumor is too big and the surgery is too risky. The good thing is that she is comfortable and not in any pain and is completely adored by her man, Howie. I just hate to have to lose her she is a good bird. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Vest said...

Hi pf: There is an over supply in Australia, but the same thing occurs here, our family have had several go this way, except for our last one "Amy" she would fly around the room twice a day when possible and only come to me for some unknown reason, sadly two weeks ago some one left the door open --swoosh out she went gone for ever.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Sorry about Sumokeet - are you sure the tumor is cancer? My old dog had tumors, but they were all benign. At any rate, at least she's had a good home with you.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Vest, I am sorry that you lost your Amy. One of my parakeets flew away when someone left a door open. I was a kid and I cried for weeks. I forgot the parakeets are plentiful in Australia, that's cool.

Notta, I suspect it is not a benign tumor. It has gotten bigger since I first discovered it last week which is never a good sign. Even if it were benign it would be hard to find a vet to do surgery on it. She is really tiny and it would be microsurgery. She is a happy bird though. Her days are filled with Howie's attentions and destroying her toys.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home