Monday, May 07, 2007

Let there be light? Forget that! LET THERE BE BEER!

You know, you never truly appreciate your right to purchase alcohol until it's been cruelly taken away. After a long, butt numbing 3 hour ride from Austin to Irving (next to Dallas), we finally arrived at our hotel. We then had a crappy dinner at IHOP. We were all a little keyed up from the trip so we decided to buy some alcohol to help us sleep a little better. Plus, what else is there to do at a convention except get a little snockered. So, my girlfriend and I went into a convenient store and we couldn't find the beer. We asked the clerk and he informed us that we were in a dry county. I was shocked and thinking what the hell. Dry counties in Texas are usually small podunk towns and we were in a suburb of Dallas, not exactly a one horse town. After hitting up two convenient stores we finally found a local that gave us directions to a store that was literally 50 yard from our hotel. We drove down this dark and desolate road and in the distance we can see car lights heading towards the most brightly lit shop-n-rob I have ever seen in my life. You could have probably have seen it from orbit. I knew immediately that it was the place and I wowed my friend in my ability to sniff out booze like Scooby sniffs out Scooby Snacks. We go in and I swear it's a frat boy's dream. There was literally beer stacked to the ceiling, as you see in my glorious take at Vana's pose. The whole store was dedicated to beer and malt liquors and maybe one or two aisles for munchies. I picked up my Mexican beer while my friend picked up her Zima (chic beer) and we made our way to purchase our hard won booty. Unfortunately, the salesclerk was the nastiest man I have ever met. Not only was he experiencing some kind of scabby rash business going on but it looked nasty ass infected. I was afraid something was going to squirt at me. I threw him my money and got the hell out of there. Overall, I am thankful that I got my beer, I didn't get cooties and that I live in Austin where I can buy beer without having to leave the county.
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Wow, I didn't realize they had dry cities. I don't think anything is dry in CA.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Really? I want to hear more about how dry California is? All I can say is that not being able to buy that well deserved beer kind of put me in a bad mood until I obtained some. So, I had a happy ending to my story.

10:41 PM  
Blogger tshsmom said...

Whoa, areas of TEXAS are dry?! UNBELIEVABLE!!
They'd never get by with that in MN. Our dinky town has 4 liquor stores, and 2 grocery stores. That kinda says something about our area, doesn't it?

4:51 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

That is a LOOOOTTA beer! ;D
Dry counties, how crazy is that? I mean in Utah, fine, but everywhere else on the continent people want their likker.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

tshsmom, I agree with you totally. I can't believe that there are still dry counties in Texas. I have heard of dry counties in Texas but I thought it was something mythical and mysterious like a unicorn and chances are you will never see one. I didn't think I would ever experienced it first hand. The horror!

Sme, I love my likker. It is the best when eating barbeque. Let me tell you not being able to get me a beer made me go crazy looking to buy some. I felt like I was on a quest. I think dry counties are one of those dirty secrets people in Texas don't talk about because it's so embarrassing. I have to say I am going to be prepared for any future trips by putting beer in my trunk, just in case.

3:29 PM  
Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I wonder if there are any dry counties in Canada.
Nah, prob'ly not. Even tho Alberta sorta is the poor man's Texas. ;D

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home