Thursday, September 22, 2005

Under Rita's thumb!

Update: 9/22/05, 6:30pm
Rita was down graded to a Category 4 and is heading slightly NE towards the Louisiana/Texas border. Good news for Austin, bad news for Houston. My in-laws got stuck in traffic all day today and couldn't leave Houston. They will try again tonight and hopefully make it in sometime tomorrow morning now that they turned the inbound lane to Houston outbound. My part of Austin will be windy and have maybe up to two inches of rain but I am on a hill so I am not worried about flooding I just have to watch for falling trees.


Hurricane Rita is coming to the Texas coast and it's huge. As of right now it is a Category 5 hurricane and it's headed between Galveston and Brownsville. Today traffic sucked because people are leaving the coast and area coastal towns that are likely to flood. My in laws from Houston are leaving and staying with us, hopefully. They are having difficulty finding a hotel and when I called up my apartment complex they graciously allowed them to come and stay in an empty unit. What awesome people. I have to get them a cake and tell them thanks. They had a company trip in Galveston this weekend that was cancelled due to Rita. I know that they were looking forward towards the rest and relaxation of a seaside trip. The NOAA says that even Austin, which is far inland, is going to experience hurricane like winds of 70-75mph and rain so I have to park my car away from trees and we may expect the power to go out. I am prepared and it shouldn't be so bad. This is Texas after all, we are use to all the wind from thunderstorms and tornados. I had to go to the store and buy water but it's sold out. I eventually bought some overpriced water at 7-11. I stocked up on munchies and I got a bag of ice so my ice cream won't melt. We have plenty of water, candles, flashlights, toilet paper, cat litter and food for my family and the cats. So far so good. I am just thinking of my family that live in Houston and San Antonio, it looks like it might flood over there. I am just praying that Texas will be okay.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chica,

You will be okay but the wind is your major problem. You are smart to move your car. If the winds are strong enough it wll bring down the power lines so I hope you have flashlights and candles on hand. Also remember that if you do not open your fridge it will stay cold up to 12 hours. After that it is barbecue time. Get some charcoal and use the ice to have a cold beer! Stock up on chef boyardee...it's pretty gross but it won't go bad.

Cuicado chica!

Amy de Miami

11:58 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Thanks chica for the advice, I got some beer and now we prepared for any power loss and I just got word that Rita was down graded to a Category 4 hurricane. Meaning Austin will just get the western edge of the hurricane and we will only get gusts of 40-50mph winds. That's cool because we've experienced thunderstorms with stronger wind gusts so we will be fine. The power may flicker but it won't be out for long. So pray for the mass exodus escaping the Texas coast. It's craziness down there.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Monty said...

I wrote a guest piece about you at The V Spot, Vicoria's Secret
http://victoriassecrets.blogspot.com/2005/09/6-kitty-titty.html

but people are afraid to read it because they see #8 first, and can't get by it. Oh well, I tried.

Stay safe. Rita was downgraded, and she also shifted more Easterly, away from you. We'll party afterwards! You'll teach me to salsa, won't you?

11:08 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Oh that is so sweet, Monty. Thank you for letting me know how much I have effected your life and that you like me, your really do. I am honored. Usually my crazy rants and ideas are easily ignored by most but thank you for validating them and mentioning them on the V Spot, Victoria's Secret. I read #8 and it was a tear jerker and I cried like a baby.

We will try to stay safe here and it looks like we will just get a lot of rain and he'll yeah, well have a Margarita party for surving Rita and we will drink, be merry and dance some Salsa!

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home