Sunday, October 09, 2005

Finding My Identity

I am a twin and that's pretty cool. I always had someone to play with, fight with and I never was alone. Then my sister moved away. We were best friends and poof, she was gone. I realized that I really didn't have any best friends besides my sister. I, also, realized that I had no idea on how to go about making friends. It seems that just in these last five years, I have made some friends that I call "keepers". You know the friends that I love to hang out with and even though we may not agree, I love them anyway. Now, my sister is back in town. I love her to death and I am happy that she is back but I am afraid of losing my identity that took me so hard to build. Twins are perceived as one entity. I realize this when my sister and I went to our high school reunion and everyone called us "the Twins". It felt weird after being called Angelique for the past 8 years. Also, people always labeled us, too. My sister was the "Outgoing Twin" and I, "The Quiet Twin". It feels weird, like people are not taking the time to get to know us. I agree my sister is very loud and is interested in having fun and I am a boring married person who likes to have fun, too. I think that it's important for me to not to believe the labels that people give us and just learn to be confident and happy in my self because it could be worse and she could not be here at all and that would suck because the older I get the more I need to be closer to my sister.

2 Comments:

Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

I never thought about that aspect of being a twin - the labels. Probably because I'm not a twin. :-P

It's a good thing that real life is a whole different ballgame than high school. :-)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, thank God that real life is so different from high school. My problems seemed so earth shattering back then. Now I realize that maybe I was being a little dramatic and hormonal because I wish I had those small problems that I had back then. My universe has definitely gotten bigger since then.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home