Saturday, July 16, 2005

Hey, buddy, can you help a stormtrooper out?


I understand that everyone is hurting for money these last couple of years. I see people everyday who are struggling to support themselves and their families. Here in Austin, there seems to be different types of people who beg for money. Near the University down off the drag there are a lot young kids who beg for change, where I use to work we had a homeless campsite of older people. They were pretty nice and pretty much kept to themselves. Though one day one of their camp buddies got stinking drunk and was sleeping in our parking lot and then he peed on our sign in full view of rush hour traffic. That was hilarious! Unfortunately, I have seen panhandling reach a new low when they hit you up for change in the grocery store or right outside it. I do all my grocery shopping at midnight, when the store is quite. Once while leaving the store a woman approaches us asking if we could give her some milk for her mac and cheese. I was with my husband, who has this gift of pissing off beggars by ignoring them and it didn't take long before she was cussing at us for not giving money for her mac and cheese. The other day I saw a young woman, her boyfriend and their young children asking for money right inside the store. She asked me for money but since I am 30,000 dollars in the hole thanks to my college loans, I asked her to give me some money, I need her to help me so I can help her. She gave me a weak smile and quickly wandered off. She finally suckered some one and bought whatever she needed. Even though panhandlers seem to be getting more aggressive I had a good experience once. One day while walking to class a young drag rat (what we call the homeless kids on the drag) girl asked me for a dollar and I gave it to her with the understanding I would probably never see it again but she was adamant that she would pay me back. Weeks later, after I had totally forgotten, she comes running up to me and hands me a dollar and says "thanks!" I was really surprised and it rejuvenated my belief in humankind. Every time I start developing a depressing view of the world and its people, thankfully, someone always changes my mind and gives me hope Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chica, consider yourself fortunate that you have renewed faith in mankind. Living in Miami I feel somewhat unconcerned about the suffering masses. Odd, since I am currently living in an "urban" area. I don't knock anyone's profession be it prostitution or pushing drugs. We all have to make a living...what get's me is people begging. I am totally self righteous. I know that is kind of shitty of me but I can not respect someone who can't do what I can do. I moved at a young age to Miami and had to learn a different language. Let's be honest Miami doesn't belong to the states I am waiting for the press release stating that it was annexed by South America. It was tough and I did it. It is wrong to ask people to be responsible for their own well being or better yet handle their own shit? Guess so...AG

7:38 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

It's really hard to keep a good opinion of people when they ask for a handout because they are felt they are owed it. We were raised to be independent and to be held responsible for our decisions. That's the fun of free will, you are held responsible for your decisions which can be bad or good. It's too bad that others don't feel the same way. I just want to keep my innocence or ignorance about people and try to make difference with my life by being a good person, wife, and (hopefully very soon) mother.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Apostle John said...

Great story!

I was approached by someone in Baltimore one day. I was wearing a clerical collar which is like having sign that reads, "I will give money."

The guy comes up and says he hasn't eaten in two or three days. I say, "Hey, you're in luck. As a minister I happen to know that in any city in this country all you have to do to find a free meal is to ask a cop and they will help you find the nearest church or soup kitchen. Let's go ask that cop over there."

He ran in the opposite direction. :)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Apostle John, thanks for taking a look at my blog. I will keep your story in mind because my best friend is a police officer. I always thank him for keeping our streets safe and thank you, Apostle John, for keeping the faith and spreading the word. Keep up the good work.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home