Thursday, July 21, 2005

Hi, I am a little shy boy!


It just started to rain here in Austin and it's beautiful and cloudy. Here is a picture of one of my feral cats that I took today in the rain. I manage a very small colony of 3 cats in my apartment complex. His name is Babooner and I started to feed him about 3-4 years ago. He is pretty wild and won't let me very close to him so pardon the really grainy quality of the photo. I think he is really cute and maybe you can see in this photo but he is paralyzed on the left side of his face and his ear droops a bit. I don't know if he got caught in a car engine or attacked. He came to me that way. When I first saw him half of his tail was hanging limply. When I caught him to get neutered, I wondered about his tail but the vet said that it was dead and that it would fall off when it was ready. A week later, it happened. His tail is only half as long as a normal cat's and he can't raise up in the air like my other kitties. I always wondered about his background. I believe that his mother was probably abandoned here in the apartment complex and she bred and her kittens grew up with no kind of human contact, so they were pretty wild. He is just so sad looking but he is a testament that a managed feral cat community can be successful in keeping down the wild cat population in the neighborhood by humanely trapping, neutering and vaccinating them. I believe him to be around 6 or 7 years old and hopefully I will see him to be a very old cat.  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home