Sunday, October 16, 2005

Chinese Secret, huh? No Secret! I Love Animal Acupuncture!

My Big Kitty, who is suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Disease, went to the vet again. She is now a shell of her former self and this last past week she hasn't moved much. I know that she will eventually succumb to IBD by making her body slowly starve because her intestinal tract is not able to absorb nutrients from her food because of her inflamed intestines. She looks gaunt and she is sleeping a lot. I took her to a veterinarian that I usually take all my birds to. She is pretty cool and she is in animal chiropractor and is also licensed in acupuncture. She examined Big K and ordered up some blood work and a urinary analysis. She gave me some medications to help boost her immune system. Now, I confess I have never been into the whole new age/holistic healing medicine but I am willing to do it for her since she is very ill and I just want her to be comfortable and happy. The veterinarian checked out her spine and was doing a massage move and you can see Big K turn into a puddle and practically fall asleep in the exam room. This is very unusual because she hates the vet and her eyes are saucers until a day after the vet visit, she is that disturbed. The veterinarian then recommended some acupuncture treatments to help boost her immune system. I consented because if she loved that back move so much maybe the idea of being a kitten pin cushion would be relaxing. The doctor proceeded to put pins in my cat. They were very small needles and she didn't even move a muscle. In fact, she would have fallen asleep if it weren't for me and my sister talking to the vet tech and being utterly amazed at the look of contentment on her face. I wish I had my camera. I keep forgetting it lately and I have missed out on some good stuff to show you. Later, after I went home Big K slept the day away which they told me would be normal. The next day she seemed happier and more alert. She looked so much better that the next time I go we may have to sign up together for a session, a kind of mother and daughter day of acupuncture. I believe it helped her but I am still waiting on the blood tests to come back. I hope that everything will come back okay. I'll keep you updated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monty said...

I'm rooting for y'all. My 17 year old baby Holmes goes into the vet tomorrow for observation. She has failing kidneys, a failing thyroid, and a failing gall bladder, yet we don't tell her and she doesn't know. She just soldiers on. She'll get some blood work and we'll see if she has an infection. She's off her 'feed' lately and she's pretty much skin and bones. I love that cat, I really do! I guess i should go looking for an animal accupuncturist.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Hi, Monty! I hope that your kitty feels better. It's always stressful when your kids are sick and cats are the worst because they never tell you when they are sick. I am still waiting for the blood results but she seems perkier and is now fighting me when I give her oral antibiotics for her infection, so I know she is doing better. I am such a nut but I really believe that her acupuncture session really helped her. My advice is to find a vet who is licensed because there was no way in hell anyone was getting near my baby with needles without some kind of formal training and a piece of paper to prove it. Check it out, it;s totally worth it.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home