Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Me, the Muffins and the Marriage that Almost didn't Happen!


Today, while digging around in my pantry, I found this old bag of blueberry muffin mix. I told me husband if he would like some muffins tomorrow morning. He said "Sure, why not?" Then he got really quiet and told me that 5 years ago when we were having serious problems in our relationship he bought that muffin mix to cook and try to cheer me up. He knows that I have an unnatural desire for blueberry muffins. I told him I remembered. About five years ago, we were facing a crisis in our relationship. I am almost embarrassed to say it now but our crisis was perpetrated by me. I was terribly unhappy and I had such low self worth. The first thing I did was try to make my then boyfriend, now husband, feel equally miserable and small. I don't know why I did this to the one person I loved most in the world. We almost broke up. We divided the possessions, the cats, and figured who would have to move out. The only thing that saved our relationship was couples therapy which I initially resisted at first. I had written off our relationship and I was looking for the nearest door. The therapist helped me get to the root of my problem. I was unhappy with my life and I was taking it out on my husband and my husband, who was desperate to save our relationship, took the abuse. Our therapist told me that happiness comes from within and if you don't like something, change it. She also taught my husband to deal with my anger and fight back. I didn't like the fact at first, that he would argue back to me but now it's pretty cool. I like it better when I don't get my way all the time. So, I quit my job and went to work with animals, full time. I then realized that I liked helping pets and people that I would try to be a nurse and finish my degree in Anthropology. I quit that job, which I still love and work at occasionally, and went back to school. So, I just graduated and I now I am trying to become a nurse and enjoying the fact that I have a husband who loves me and supports me and encourages me to follow my dreams and be happy. Anyways, I still love blueberry muffins and I am cooking that bag, so wish me luck that I don't poison us both. I feel that we need to exorcise the evil blueberry memories and make new ones, some new buttery memories. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Monty said...

Congradulations, you have come a long way! And please, dump the old bag, get some new mix, or go to:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_15922,00.html

for a nice recipe.

It's also below:

Blueberry Muffins
From Food Network Kitchens
Ingredients
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for preparing the muffin tin
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for the top of the muffins
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly brush a 12-muffin tin with butter and set aside.
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.

In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric hand-held mixer in a large bowl, cream the



1
Copyright 2002 Television food network G.P., All Rights Reserved





butter, zest, and 2/3 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a
rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer.

Using a rubber spatula, fold the flour in 3 parts into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, until
just combined. Fold in the blueberries. Take care not to over mix the batter. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin
tin and sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan on a rack.
Serve warm.

Ingredients
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved

9:39 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Thanks for the recipe! I looked at the ingredients in the mix and it didn't even have blueberries in it. Blueberry bits means cranberries in reality. The mix is going in the trash and I am looking foward to cooking the real thing.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Monty said...

It's the least i can do for you. I love the recipe myself. Good luck, and enjoy. Need anything else in the way of cooking?

11:10 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Hmm, maybe a good chicken marsala recipe. My husband loves that stuff and I always fuck it up. I am not really good at cooking but I try and my poor husband grins and bears it. Thanks!

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you and your husband are very lucky to have each other. Thanks for sharing your blueberry memory with your readers!

And I'm glad you didn't eat your five year old blueberry mix. Contrary to popular belief, explosive diarrhea is not romantic.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Thanks, Bam! I just wanted to share and I totally get the explosive diarrhea part. I already went through that this past week with my Jell-O pudding pops. Thanks again for taking a look at my blog.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home