Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I know this sounds funny but the word "moist" creeps me out!

I always believed that the word "moist" was a wierd word. It kind of sounds dirty when you say it and when does a person say it. I've heard it used in sentences like "This cake is very moist" and that's about it. I checked out the etymology of the word and it states that it derived from the Latin word muscidus meaning moldy or mucidus meaning slimy, musty, moldy and/or mucus meaning slime. There is some other Latin words that "moist" could have derived from but here is my question. Why would some say that a cake is moist when they could say that the cake is slimy, musty or moldy? I don't know but that sounds like a nasty cake. I think the next time I encounter a "moist" cake I'll say it's gooey and not very dry instead of calling it a slime cake.

5 Comments:

Blogger Apostle John said...

I'll never say "Moist and delicious" ever again :)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Tee hee, you are so funny! For very different reasons, I avoid words like "duty" (because it sounds like doodie). At least you have some sane rationale for not using the "m" word. :-P

11:40 AM  
Blogger Angelique said...

John, don't mind my craziness. Just certain words bug me when I have to much time on my hands. Sometimes when I figure out where a word derived from I wish I hadn't, I think ignorance is bliss.

Notta, OMIGOD! Duty is doodie. Thank you for making me laugh. I tried all day to work "duty" into my vocabulary just so I could laugh uncontrollably at my own funny.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Notta Wallflower said...

Angel - No problem for the laugh. I have to have laughs in this world, otherwise I'd go nuts. Unfortunately, I passed my twisted sense of humor to my son - when we hear certain words or phrases, we look at each other and laugh. I love that I can be goofy with him. :-)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Angelique said...

Notta, I have the same thing with my sister. Something or somebody will do something funny and we will look at each other and burst out laughing. I like to think it's because are evil twin minds are at work.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home